- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Many Abaco communities have their own Junkanoo celebrations; Hope Town has a New Year's Eve children's rushout for locals and visitors to join in. Parades in the Abacos are much smaller and more intimate than in Nassau, and far less competitive.
April's annual Bahamas White Marlin Open at Treasure Cay is an all-release tournament, with plenty of parties to complement the fishing. This is one of the more popular tournaments, though there are other tournaments throughout the year.
Hope Town's annual Heritage Day in April celebrates the Loyalist settlement's history with traditional songs, speeches and exhibits on historical topics, and a boat parade.
The Island Roots Festival celebrates Bahamian traditions with an outdoor party on tiny Green Turtle Cay at the end of April.
Goombay Festivals —traditional summertime parties with dance troupes and musical groups—take place throughout summer in Marsh Harbour.
Regatta Time in Abaco, the first week of July, stretches over several islands, with races and plenty of onshore parties.
More than 200 contestants meet on the first of September to participate in the grueling Great Abaco Triathlon, which includes swimming, running, and biking.
The All Abaco Sailing Regatta, a weekend event highlighted by native sloop racing, Junkanoo festivities, dominoes competitions, and a food fest, is held at the end of September.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% Off Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino