- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
North Long Island: Cape Santa Maria to Gray's
In the far north, you will find two large resort communities: Cape Santa Maria and Stella Maris. Scattered between are the small settlements of Seymour's, Glinton's, and Burnt Ground. Columbus originally named the island's northern tip Cape Santa Maria after the largest of his three ships. The beach here is gorgeous, full of private homes and resort villas, and a restaurant, bar, and gift shop that are open to the public. North of the Cape Santa Maria Resort is the Columbus Monument, commemorating Columbus's landing on Long Island, and Columbus Cove, where he made landfall. Twelve miles south of the Cape, Stella Maris, which means Star of the Sea, is home to the so-named resort. The Stella Maris Airport sits on the property, along with private homes, restaurants and bars, the magnificent Love Beaches, a full-service marina, and a tackle-gift shop; all open to the public. Just north of Stella Maris, off Queen's Highway, are the ruins of the 19th-century Adderley's Plantation.
Traveling south about 8 mi, you'll come to Simms, one of Long Island's oldest settlements. The Tropic of Cancer cuts through the island close to here, dividing the subtropics from the tropics.
Farther south are the idyllic communities of Thompson Bay and Salt Pond; both providing safe harbors for those who visit by sailboat. Salt Pond, a hilly bustling settlement so named for its many salt ponds, hosts the annual Long Island Regatta. Continuing south, you will pass the settlements of the Bight and Gray's before reaching Deadman's Cay.
North Long Island: Cape Santa Maria to Gray's at a Glance
Elsewhere in Long Island
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer — $1,749 Royal Caribbean