Hours of Operation
Hours of Operation
Banks are generally open Monday-Thursday 9 or 9:30 to 3 or 4 and Friday 9 to 5. However, on the Out Islands, banks may keep shorter hours—on the smallest cays, they may be open only a day or two each week. Most Bahamian offices observe bank hours.
Hours for attractions vary. Most open between 9 and 10 and close around 5.
Though most drugstores typically abide by normal store hours, some stay open 24 hours.
Most stores, with the exception of straw markets and malls, close on Sunday.
The grandest holiday of all is Junkanoo, a carnival that came from slaves who made elaborate costumes and instruments such as goatskin drums. Junkanoo is celebrated on Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, and New Year's Day (the bands compete in all-night parades that start in the wee hours). Don't expect to conduct any business during the week of festivities.
During other legal holidays, most offices close, and some may extend the holiday by keeping earlier (or no) hours the day before or after.
In the Bahamas, official holidays include New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter, Whit Monday (last Mon. in May), Labour Day (1st Mon. in June), Independence Day (July 10), Emancipation Day (1st Mon. in Aug.), National Heroes Day (Oct. 12), Christmas Day, and Boxing Day (Dec. 26). In Turks and Caicos, islanders also celebrate Commonwealth Day (Mar.), Easter Monday, National Heroes Day (May), the Queen's Birthday (June), National Youth Day (Sept.), and International Human Rights Day (Oct.) They celebrate Emancipation Day (Aug. 1) but do not celebrate Whit Monday, Labour Day, or Independence Day.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% Off Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $369 & up -- Caribbean Vacation Sale incl. Atlantis, 60% Off — $369 CheapCaribbean.com