- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Barbados has good roads, but traffic can be heavy, particularly around Bridgetown. Be sure to keep a map handy, as the road system in the countryside can be very confusing—although the friendly Bajans are always happy to help you find your way. Drive on the left, British-style. When someone flashes headlights at you at an intersection, it means "after you." Be especially careful negotiating roundabouts (traffic circles). The speed limit is 30 mph (50 kph) in the country, 20 mph (30 kph) in town. Bridgetown actually has rush hours: 7 to 9 and 4 to 6. Park only in approved parking areas; downtown parking costs Bds75¢ to Bds$1 per hour.
Car Rentals: Most car-rental agencies require renters to be between 21 and either 70 or 75 years of age. Dozens of agencies rent cars, jeeps, or minimokes (small, open-sided vehicles). Rates are about $60 per day for a minimoke to $85 or more per day for a four-wheel-drive vehicle (or $225 to $400 or more per week) in high season. Most firms also offer discounted three-day rates, and many require at least a two-day rental in high season.
Coconut Car Rentals (Bayside, Bay St., Bridgetown, St. Michael. 246/437-0297. www.coconutcars.com.)
Courtesy Rent-A-Car (Grantley Adams International Airport, Christ Church. 246/431-4160. www.courtesyrentacar.com.)
Drive-a-Matic Car Rental (CWTS Complex, Lower Estate, St. Michael, BB19025. 246/422-3000 or 800/581-8773. www.carhire.tv.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $199 -- Barbados 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 40% Hilton Barbados
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off — $225-$260 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $799 American Express Travel