When to Go to Bermuda
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go to Bermuda
The important thing to remember when planning your trip is that subtropical Bermuda is in the Atlantic—not the Caribbean. High season is April through October, when the sun shines brightest and the warm waters beckon. During the summer months particularly, the island teems with activity. Sightseeing options are plentiful and the "official" events calendar is full. (Hotels add to it by offering their own daytime programs and evening entertainment.) Off-season—November through March—the weather is often perfect for golf or tennis, and on sunny days you can take advantage of uncrowded beaches. Nevertheless, the pace is considerably slower. A few restaurants and shops close, some excursion boats are dry-docked, and typically only taxis operate tours of the island. But most hotels remain open, sometimes slashing rates by as much as 40%. As an added incentive for off-peak travelers, the Department of Tourism sponsors the Bermuda Heart & Soul program: a series of daily activities (the majority of which are free) that include guided walks, high teas, and golf tournaments.
Bermuda has a remarkably mild climate that seldom sees extremes of either heat or cold. In winter (December through March), temperatures range from around 55°F at night to 70°F in early afternoon. High, blustery winds can make the air feel cooler, however. The hottest times are between May and mid-October, when temperatures generally range from 75°F to 85°F. It's not uncommon for the mercury to reach 90°F in July or August, and it often feels hotter due to humidity levels. Although summer is somewhat drier, rainfall is spread fairly evenly throughout the year. Bermuda depends solely on rain for its supply of freshwater, so residents usually greet a summer shower as "good tank water" in reference to the cisterns where rainwater is stored beneath many houses. In August and September, hurricanes moving north from the Caribbean occasionally hit the island, causing storm damage and flight delays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $799 & up -- St. Thomas All-Incl. Beach Trip w/Air, $950 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $679 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise w/Oceanview Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- Bermuda: Weeklong Summer Cruise — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $429 American Express Travel