Boat and Ferry Travel
Boat and Ferry Travel
Frequent daily ferries connect Tortola with St. Thomas (both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook) and St. John. Ferries also link Tortola with Jost Van Dyke, Peter Island, and Virgin Gorda. Tortola has three ferry terminals—one at West End, one on Beef Island (at the airport), and one in Road Town. Schedules vary, and not all companies make daily trips. All Red Hook-bound ferries stop in Cruz Bay to clear customs and immigration.
Ferries also connect Virgin Gorda with St. Thomas (both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook) and St. John, but not daily. All Red Hook-bound ferries stop in Cruz Bay to clear customs and immigration. Ferries to Virgin Gorda land in Spanish Town. Schedules vary by day, and not all companies make daily trips.
The BVI Tourist Board website www.bvitourism.com/inter-island-ferries has links to all the ferry companies, and these sites are the best sources for ever-changing routes and schedules.
Boat and Ferry Contacts
Dohm's Water Taxi (340/775-6501 in St. Thomas. www.watertaxi-vi.com.)
Inter-Island Boat Service (340/776-6597 in St. John; 284/495-4166 in Tortola.)
Native Son (340/774-8685 in St. Thomas; 284/495-4617 in Tortola. www.nativesonferry.com.)
New Horizon Ferry Service (284/495-9278 in Tortola.)
North Sound Express (284/495-2138 in Tortola.)
Peter Island Ferry (284/495-2000 in Tortola. www.peterisland.com.)
Reefer (340/776-8500 Ext. 6814 in St. Thomas. www.marriottfrenchmansreef.com.)
Smith's Ferry (340/775-7292 in St. Thomas; 284/494-4454 in Tortola. www.bviferryservices.com.)
Speedy's Ferries (284/494-6154 in Tortola. www.speedysbvi.com.)
Road Town Fast Ferry (284/494-2323 in Tortola. www.tortolafastferry.com.)
Varlack Ventures (340/776-6412 in St. John. www.varlack-ventures.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $469 -- Virgin Islands: 3 Nights in Long Bay w/Extras Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 Cooper Island Beach Club
- $150 -- Virgin Islands: Anegada Oceanview Room, Save 38% — $150 Anegada Reef Hotel