- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Bayamo, the capital of Granma Province, is descended from one of Spain's first seven villas: the 1513 settlement of Villa de San Salvador de Bayamo, which was near present-day Yara before being moved to its current location. There's little evidence left of its colonial beginnings. In 1869, the townspeople burned Bayamo to the ground rather than let it fall into Spanish hands during the Ten Years War.
Bayamo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Cuba
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2999 -- Cuba: 8-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hotel and Tours Friendly Planet Travel