- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Popular with Canadian and Italian tour groups that often fly in directly, Cayo Largo is an ideal spot for a carefree vacation, though contact with Cuban life and culture is very limited. The island is also considerably more expensive than the mainland; expect to pay double normal Cuban prices for everything from diving excursions to dinner. On the other hand, the pristine beaches and seductive aquamarine waters are boon and balm to the weary soul.
From Combinado on the island's northwestern tip, around the small elbow called Cocodrilo that juts out from the island's southwest shore, and up the 20-km (12-mi) straightaway, a series of hotels offer activities of every kind.
Cayo Largo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Western Cuba
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel