- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Parque de la Libertad
Parque de la Libertad Review
The Parque de la Libertad, a leafy square bordered by Calles 79, 83, 290, and 288 contains a bronze of José Martí and a dramatic sculpture of a screaming, bare-breasted woman representing Cuba breaking free from her chains.
The Museo Farmaceútico Triolet, the main sight on the Parque de la Libertad, is a perfectly preserved 19th-century pharmacy. Established in 1882 by Ernesto Triolet and his son-in-law, Juan Fermín de Figueroa, the pharmacy finally closed in 1964. It specialized in medecina verde (natural medicine), and its porcelain jars, great cauldron, giant amphora for medicinal wine, prescription file, and pharmaceutical instruments are impressively displayed. Don't miss the bronze crocodile used to compress and calibrate the corks that, before the screw-top, sealed vials. Calle Milanés, esquina de Calle Santa Teresa, Matanzas, Matanzas Province. 45/24-3179. 3 cuc. Mon.-Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-2.
- Location: Matanzas
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more