- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Place to Get Soaked
Wotten Waven is no thriving metropolis. In fact, the hamlet at the north end of the Roseau Valley is minuscule. But don't miss it. Hidden in its bush are sulfur-enriched, burping waters, fumaroles, and cascades. A few local entrepreneurs have made it a spa destination. Now, if you're thinking big-time pampering, think again. It is strictly BYOT (bring your own towel). There are four outdoor "spas." Each is unique. Rainforest Shangri-La Resort, with its steam and hot springs, is hand-hewed and ecofriendly. Tia's Bamboo Cottages are perched on a hill. The springs are at the bottom by the river. Don't want to dip? Well, the owner's teen daughters at Ti Kwen Glo Cho will take you on a tour down a flower-border path to lush gardens, a small menagerie of native wildlife, and a waterfall. Ti Kwen Glo Cho's state-of-the-art spa consists of four old-fashioned claw-foot bathtubs. Mineral water is jerry-rigged into them via a series of bamboo poles. Screw's Sulphur Spa is the most posh. It offers mud packs and wraps plus six pools, each a different temperature and a different depth. Screw, and that is his name, doesn't let you leave without giving you fresh juice or fruit. Dominica's spas are a far reach from the Golden Door, but then again, that is their charm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Roseau Savings! Book at Fort Young Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Garraway 3 Nts in May Fr $127+/Nt Expedia