- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nestled along a 35-mi contiguous stretch of sand along the East Coast, Punta Cana and its tentacles extend from the south at Juanillo (Cap Cana) to the north at Uvero Alto, encompassing the beaches and villages of Punta Cana, Bávaro, Cabeza de Toro, El Cortecito, Arena Gorda, and Macao in between. Within the alluvial plains that reach from the eastern coast inland toward Santo Domingo, the terrain is characterized by lush, green countryside, mostly flatlands with mangroves and some swampy areas.
Punta Cana. Any of the distinct geographical locations within the entire East Coast region serviced by Punta Cana International Airport are often loosely called Punta Cana. Punta Cana proper is home to the PuntaCana Resort & Club and PuntaCana Village, about a 10-minute drive from the airport.
Bávaro. This long stretch of eastern coastline includes the further subdivisions of Cabeza de Toro, El Cortecito, and Arena Gorda. It's all a hub of development, shopping, commercial activity, and nightlife.
Macao. Just north of Bávaro Beach, but along the same stretch of coastline, this rural village is much less bustling than Bávaro. Beachgoers, golfers, and real-estate developers all find its natural beauty alluring.
Playa Uvero Alto. This remote coastal village is about an hour's drive from the airport. It's the northernmost part of the great Punta Cana region to have attracted some luxury resorts.
Higüey. The capital city of La Altagracia, the province that includes all of Punta Cana and the rest of the East Coast areas covered. It's about an hour west of Punta Cana by car or bus.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com