- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The following airlines provide service from the United States (or connections through San Juan): American Airlines/American Eagle, Continental, Delta, United, and US Airways. Many visitors fly nonstop on charter flights to the Dominican Republic direct from the East Coast, the Midwest, and Canada—particularly into Punta Cana. These charters are part of a package, and can only be booked through a travel agent.
When you arrive at Punta Cana International Airport, greeters in traditional Dominican dress will welcome you and take your photograph for optional purchase as a souvenir when you depart. There is otherwise no charge for this service. Immediately behind the greeters is the Immigration Desk, where every visitor must purchase a "tourist card" for $10 (U.S. currency only). American citizens do not require a visa to enter the country, only a valid passport.
If you book a package through a travel agent, your airport transfers will almost certainly be included in the price you pay. Look for your company's sign as you exit baggage claim. If you book independently, you may have to take a taxi or rent a car.
When you leave the Dominican Republic, anticipate long, slow-moving lines, and be sure to give yourself a full two hours for international check-in.
Punta Cana International Airport (809/959-2376 or 809/686-8790. www.punta-cana-airport.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com