Samaná Peninsula Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Independent travel. In a country that overdoes the all-inclusive resort, you'll find a happy change of pace in this harder-to-reach corner.
Boating to Parque Los Haitises. Visit the coastline islands and grottoes, kayaking along the coastline and through mangroves to discover the wildly verdant coast.
El Limón Waterfall. A horseback ride into the forest ends in a dazzling cascade.
Beachfront meal or drinks at Las Terrenas. At a small stretch on the beach at the heart, Pueblo de los Pescadores, eight fun and romantic restaurants stand on small stilts above the sand.
Pristine, secluded beaches. Playa Rincón and about a dozen rarely seen beaches offer unspoiled mountainside views, perfect sands, and privacy. The best can be reached only by hiring a boat.
The drive from Sánchez to Las Terrenas. Winding across the mountain, you'll take in views of the entire bay and beyond, to Los Haitises National Park.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $659 & up -- 'Dreams' La Romana Vacation w/Air, $330 Off — $659 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com