- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Santa Bárbara de Samaná
The official name of the city is Santa Bárbara de Samaná; but these days it's just called "Samaná." An authentic port town, it's just getting its bearings as a tourist zone, and compared to Las Galeras and Las Terrenas there are very few reasons to spend time here. It has a typical malecón (seaside promenade) that's ideal for strolling and watching the boats in the harbor. A small but bustling town, Samaná is filled with friendly residents, skilled local craftsmen selling their wares, and a handful of outdoor restaurants.
A big all-inclusive resort, the Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa, is on one end of the bay road on a hill. Day passes are available (and the resort has the only beaches in town). The hotel also operates a block of new and colorful gift shops and a small casino. This group is the town's first (and so far only) attempt to capture cruise-ship-passenger money. It's the very colorful and new string of buildings called Pueblo Marina. Along Avenida del Malecón is Victoria Marine, ground zero for tours to see whales from January until late March, as well as the Los Haitises park across the bay.
Santa Bárbara de Samaná at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $659 & up -- 'Dreams' La Romana Vacation w/Air, $330 Off — $659 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com