Santiago and the Cibao Valley Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Centro de Leon. Santiago's impressive art museum is worth several hours of your time, and your visit can include lunch and a tour of the replicated cigar factory, circa 1900.
Head to the water. An excursion to the Dominican Republic's mountainous Cordillera Central can include white-water rafting and visits to waterfalls.
Exploring Santiago. The relatively slow-paced city has an impressive district of buildings, a few from the Colonial era and a number from Victorian times. Spanish ancestry is more apparent here than anywhere else in the country
Carnaval in Santiago or La Vega. Carnival in Santiago or La Vega is one of the quintessential Dominican experiences. It's wild, but if you have the right spirit, it can be a fun, memorable party.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air, Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 & up -- Santo Domingo All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Air — $599 CheapCaribbean.com
- $659 & up -- 'Dreams' La Romana Vacation w/Air, $330 Off — $659 CheapCaribbean.com