This diverse area is a special part of the Dominican world, and if you have sufficient time, it's worth the effort to go here. You can fly directly into Santiago's airport or drive up from Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo. Santiago is worth at least a day of exploring, but if you spend the night, you can then head for the hills in the morning. Beyond, in the Cordillera Mountains, are Jarabacoa, Constanza, and Valle Nuevo. From Constanza to Valle Nuevo and the cottage complex of Villa Pajon, you follow the carretera to San Jose de Ocoa, then take the turnoff to Valle Nuevo; the total distance is about 24 km (15 mi).
Santiago. The Dominican Republic's second city is roughly 90 minutes south of Cabarete on the scenic Autopista Duarte.
La Vega. Less than a half hour by car from Santiago, La Vega is usually a sleepy farm town. It bursts to life during Carnaval.
Jarabacoa. This mountainous region is known for its outdoor activities. The town is 36 km (22 mi) southwest of Santiago.
Constanza. Farmland and cool mountain breezes make the area surrounding this small town memorable. It's 36 km (22 mi) south of Jarabacoa.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $659 & up -- 'Dreams' La Romana Vacation w/Air, $330 Off — $659 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com