Santo Domingo Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Amber and Larimar—The D.R.'s Indigenous Gems
As attractive as precious gems—and increasingly popular for jewelry both here and in France, the mineral larimar looks particularly attractive when paired with silver. This semiprecious stone is mined in the mountains of the Southwest, in Bahoruco—the only place that this Caribbean blue pectolite has been found.
The national gem, amber, is actually a fossil—petrified tree resin that has been fossilized over a million or so years. Most amber is a golden color with brown tones, but it can be yellow and even black. It may have oddities like spiders and flies trapped inside.
Fakes are everywhere, with plastic being pawned off as amber (it will float in water) and blue beads as larimar. Stick to the better jewelry shops, especially the Euro-owned ones, which have classy pieces with artistic designs. So much of what is sold in the local shops has cheapie settings, which can ruin the stone's beauty.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air — $569 CheapCaribbean.com