The North Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Reef Ball Foundation
If you think the Reef Ball Foundation sounds like some annual charity event at a yacht club, it most assuredly is not. It's a nonprofit organization founded in 1993 to help restore and protect the natural reef systems throughout the world, including the reef in Sosúa Bay, by dropping reef-enhancing balls of concrete.
After deploying a reef ball, a team of trained divers, called a Coral Team, transplants imperiled corals on to the artificial reef. Eventually, coral growth covers the Reef Ball, leaving nothing exposed except a healthy natural reef.
The foundation workers have taught local dive operators and resort staff the art of constructing and deploying these balls to provide the infrastructure needed to rehabilitate coral habitats devastated by pollution, overfishing, and severe storms.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air — $769 CheapCaribbean.com