- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Taxis, which are government regulated, line up outside hotels and restaurants. They're unmetered, and the minimum fare is about $4, but you can bargain for less if you order a taxi away from the major hotels. Though they are more expensive, hotel taxis are the nicest and the safest option. Freelance taxis aren't allowed to pick up from hotels, so they hang out on the street in front of them. They can be half the cost per ride depending on the distance. Carry some small bills, because drivers rarely seem to have change.
Motoconchos are a popular, inexpensive mode of transportation in such areas as Puerto Plata, Sosúa, and Cabarete. You can flag down one of these motorcycle taxis along rural roads and in town; rates vary from RD$20 per person for a short run to as much as RD$100 to RD$150 between Cabarete and Sosúa (double that after 6 pm).
Taxi-Cabarete (809/571-0767 in Cabarete.)
Taxi-Sosúa (809/571-3097 in Sosúa.)
Tecni-Taxi (809/320-7621 in Puerto Plata.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air — $769 CheapCaribbean.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $429 American Express Travel