The Southeast Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Know Your Juan Dolios
Do you know how to tell one Juan Dolio from the other? Since its resurgence, Juan Dolio is actually made up of two almost completely different places now. Approaching from Santo Domingo, you'll first come across Guyacanes, which is an adjacent small fishing village that has some development. It's at the westernmost end of Juan Dolio's main drag, called Calle Principal, about 3 km (2 mi) before the old town proper. If you're going to Guyacanes, it's faster to travel by the highway.
The original town of Juan Dolio is about 3 km (2 mi) east of here and is sign-posted "Playa Juan Dolio/Guyacanes". Some call this area Old Juan Dolio, Juan Dolio West, Oasis (pronounced O ah sea), or Oasis Plaza. The beach rejuvenation includes the lovely horseshoe-shape stretch of sand in front of the main waterfront restaurants on the older part of the resort area.
The area characterized by the most condo development is still farther east and is called Villas del Mar, but you may also hear people call it New Juan Dolio. If you're traveling on the highway look for the sign that says "Club Hemingway" or the billboard for "Barceló Capella", and you'll know you've found it.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip 4 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $659 & up -- 'Dreams' La Romana Vacation w/Air, $330 Off — $659 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com