- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Neither pretty nor quaint, La Romana has a central park, an interesting market, a couple of good restaurants, banks and small businesses, a public beach, and Jumbo, a major supermarket. It is, at least, a real slice of Dominican life.
Casa de Campo is just outside La Romana. Although there are now more resorts in the area, this 7,000-acre luxury enclave put the town on the map. Casa de Campo Marina, with its Mediterranean design and impressive yacht club and villa complex, is as fine a marina facility as can be found anywhere; the shops and restaurants at the marina are a big draw for all tourists to the area, as is Altos de Chavón, the re-created 16th-century Italian hill town on the grounds of Casa de Campo.
La Romana at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air — $569 CheapCaribbean.com