- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Privately owned air-conditioned buses are the cheapest way to get around the country. The music on them will be very loud and the air-conditioning, if the bus has it, will be cranked up to the max.
Express Bus provides frequent service from Santo Domingo to the town of La Romana (809/556-4192 or 809/550-4585). Buses depart from Ravelo Street in front of Enriquillo Park every hour on the hour from 5 am to 9 pm; the schedule is exactly the same from La Romana, where they leave from Camino Avenue. In Santo Domingo, there's no office and no phone, but a ticket taker will collect your $4 just before departure. There's general chaos, a crazy kind of congestion (allow time in a taxi), horns blowing, and diesel fumes, but it all comes together. Also, keep your eye on your wallet and purse. Travel time is about 1¾ hours, and if luck is with you, the bus may show a first-rate American movie. Once in La Romana, you can take a taxi from the bus stop to Casa de Campo ($25) or Dreams la Romana, in Bayahibe ($40), or Iberostar Dominicus ($45).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air — $569 CheapCaribbean.com