Pedernales is the name of the peninsula on the DR's southernmost shore, the location of three national parks. They are the biggest reason why ecotourists are starting to gravitate here. The physical beauty and diversity of landscape is not inconsiderable. Pedernales is also the name of the town on the DR's border with Haiti, where the best of the natural sites are located, particularly in Parque Nacional Jaragua and the famous Bahía de las Águilas.
Elsewhere in The Southwest
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off — $99 Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas