Melo Café Review
Look for the blue awnings, as you could easily pass by this nondescript, three-story building, a former office that now houses a charming café. Owned by Rafael of the Melo Coffee family and his wife, Teresa. It's a clean-living (alcohol-free) place, with good plates of eggs, omelets, and pancakes (a rarity here) for breakfast. On the menu, priced low enough for a Peace Corps volunteer's budget, the best beverages are the fresh fruit batidas(smoothies); try papaya, pineapple, or milk and bananas, all for less than 50 pesos. The plato del día always offers rice and beans with perhaps a chicken fricassee or stewed pork, and a little salad, for just RD$170. You can get a club sandwich here, too (another rarity). Monday through Wednesday the hours are 8-2, and then reopens for dinner from 6-9. For great souvenirs or gifts, stop by the Melo coffee factory two doors down (#14) and buy a couple of pounds of aromatic, organic coffee.
- Address: Anacaona #12, Barahona, 81000
- Phone: 809/524-5437
- Location: Barahona
- No credit cards.
- Closed Sun. No dinner Thurs.--Sat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com
· News & Features
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City. ... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more