At a Glance
- good value
- rocking chairs on front porch a nice touch
- massages under thatch-capped gazebos
- substantial improvements
- lacks class or much spirit
- cash only
Playa Azul Review
Overlooking a secluded beach snug in its tranquil cove, this is one of the Southwest's newer (2006) and better lodging options. The rooms are quite comfortable, and there's cable TV, though no English-language channels. The hotel itself, two stucco blocks of units, is unattractive. Reserve the first tier of rooms: the second tier, right behind them, has no sea views. The two newest casitas, Nos. 19 and 20, are the best. They're spacious and have great design, but why didn't they build them so that they both faced the water? Still, these two are indicative of an upward movement here. Kudos for the better bedding and outdoor massage cabanas! Now cell phones can get a signal in the restaurant, where there is also Wi-Fi. Although two of the three owners are French (the couple's partner is Dominican), for the most part the décor is strictly local. The new offerings at the alfresco restaurant (three meals daily) are drool-worthy! Fresh octopus grilled and served a la Gallega is just that, as is the traditional pumpkin soup, whimsically named Crema of Halloween. The freshest grilled fish and lobster now have some appealing sauces, and, for dessert, the piña coladas are perfection. Prices include an ample breakfast and all taxes.
- Address: Km 7, Carretera Barahona-Enriquillo, Enriquillo, 8100
- Phone: 809/424-5375
- Location: Barahona
- 20 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $183 & up -- Punta Cana 5-Star Adults All-Inclusive Resort — $183 Excellence Punta Cana
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha ... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more