Boating and Sailing in Grenada
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Sailing
As the "Gateway to the Grenadines," Grenada attracts boatloads of seasoned sailors to its waters. Large marinas are at Port Louis along the Lagoon in St. George's, at Prickly Bay and True Blue on Grenada's south coast, at Petite Calivigny Bay and St. David's in southeast Grenada, and at Tyrrel Bay in Carriacou. You can charter a yacht, with or without crew, for weeklong sailing vacations through the Grenadines. Scenic day sails along Grenada's coast cost about $145 per person (with a minimum of four passengers), including lunch or snacks and open bar; a charter will cost $400 to $1,000 per day (with a five-day minimum), depending on the boat, for up to six people.
Carib Cats. Departing from Grand Anse Beach, Carib Cats' 60-foot sailing catamaran can be chartered for a full-day sail along the southwest coast, a half-day snorkel cruise to the Underwater Sculpture Park at Molinère Bay, or a two-hour sunset cruise along the west coast. Grand Anse Beach, St. George's. 473/444-3222.
Footloose Yacht Charters. Operating from the Lagoon in St. George's, Footloose Yacht Charters has a catamaran spacious enough for three couples, as well as a 71-foot ocean ketch. Both are available for day trips around Grenada or longer charters to the Grenadines. Lagoon Rd., St. George's. 473/405-9531. www.grenadasailing.com.
Horizon Yacht Charters. Arrange either bareboat or crewed charters (there's a four-day minimum) on monohulls or catamarans through Horizon. True Blue Bay Marina, True Blue, St. George. 473/439-1000; 866/463-7245 in U.S. www.horizonyachtcharters.com.
Moorings. Based at Port Louis Marina in St. George's, Moorings offers bareboat or crewed charters on its custom-built 35-foot to 51-foot catamarans and monohulls. The diverse itinerary options include one-way charters to the company's bases in either Canouan or St. Lucia. Port Louis Marina, Lagoon Rd., St. George's. 800/535-7289. www.moorings.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- St. George Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $247+/Nt Expedia
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 25% on Your Stay!: Kalinago Beach in May Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Book the Allamanda Beach 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt — $138 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Coyaba Beach Fr $264+/Nt — $264 Expedia