- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carriacou, the land of many reefs, is a hilly island with neither lakes nor rivers, so its drinking water comes from rainwater caught in cisterns and purified with bleach. It gets quite arid during the dry season (January through May). Nevertheless, pigeon peas, corn, and fruit are grown here, and the climate seems to suit the mahogany trees used for furniture making and the white cedar that's critical to the island's famed boatbuilding industry.
Hillsborough is Carriacou's main town. Just offshore, Sandy Island is one of the nicest beaches around (although recent storms and the gradually rising sea have taken their toll on this tiny spit of land). Almost anyone with a boat can give you a ride out to Sandy Island for a small fee (about $10 round-trip), and you can leave your cares on the dock. Rolling hills cut a wide swath through the middle of Carriacou, from Gun Point in the north to Tyrrel Bay in the south.
Despite its tiny size, Carriacou has several distinct cultures. Hillsborough is decidedly English; the southern region, around L'Esterre, reflects French roots; and the northern town of Windward has Scottish ties. African culture, though, is the overarching influence.
Carriacou at a Glance
Elsewhere in Grenada
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in St. George this May Fr $247+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Allamanda Beach 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Blue Horizons Garden Fr $188+/Nt — $188 Expedia
- May deal: Laluna Fr $366+/Nt — $366 Save with Expedia, $99/night less