- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Life of the Lambi
The lambi (lam-bee) by any other name is a queen conch or a Stombe Geant. Stingrays consider them a delicacy, as do hermit crabs, lobster, and turtles; octopuses wrap their loving arms around them. Yet their main predator is man. He has learned to relish the meat within the copious shell, to the extent that they have been overfished, and harvesting in these islands has been limited to four months a year, from October to January.
Ives Tonyon has one of the biggest commercial fishing operations—two 30-foot boats and two mates—on the small, remote island of Désirade. They go out some 2 miles (3 km) for dolphinfish (mahimahi) and marlin, set traps for lobster, and pull nets for lambi. In two hours they can net about 185 lambi. Three or four make a kilo, which they then sell to La Désirade restaurants for about €20.
When asked his origins, he tells how his was one of the first French families on the island. "Was your father a fisherman?" "Oui." "Was your grandfather a fisherman?" "Oui." "His father and grandfather?" "Oui, oui."
Fricassee of lambi is a house specialty of Oualiri Beach Hotel & Restaurant.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139-$179 -- Curaçao 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 55% Off Hilton Curaçao
- $199 -- Barbados 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 40% Hilton Barbados
- $489 & up -- Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacations w/Air Vacation Express
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore