- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ferry schedules and fares often change, so phone ahead to confirm. You normally travel to the outlying islands in the archipelago in the morning, returning in the afternoon. Both Comatrile and Express des Isles operate ferries between Terre-de-Haut and Marie-Galante.
A new ferry, jeans for freedom (Place du Marche, St-Pierre, Martinique 97250; 0825/ 01-01-25 www.jeansforfreedom.com) is plying the waters between Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe, and Ste. Pierre, Martinique; it also makes a brief stop in Dominica. Slightly undercutting the competition, the price is €70. It also connects Fort-de-France to St. Lucia (€70). In Guadeloupe, service is also available between Pointe-à-Pitre and Marie-Galante or Les Saintes for €25.
Comatrile. Comatrile travels from St-François and Ste-Anne on Grande Terre to La Désirade, Petite Terre, and to Marie-Galante and Les Saintes. Marina de St-François, St-François, 97118. 0690/50-05-09 port; 0590/22-26-31.
C.T.M. DEHER. C.T.M. DEHER goes between Trois-Rivieres and Terre-de-Haut, Les Saintes, departing at 9 am and returning to Guadeloupe at 4 pm daily. 0590/92-06-39 or 0590/99-50-68. www.ctmdeher.com.
L'Express des Isles. L'Express des Isles runs ferries to Marie-Galante, Les Saintes, from Pointe-à-Pitre. Longer trips to other islands like Dominica and Martinique cost about €70 to €75 one way and take between three and four hours. Be prepared for bad weather and choppy seas, which are especially likely on longer runs, when the boats are in open water. That said, the company uses larger ferries when heading to and from Dominica and Martinique, and that makes for a smoother ride. French films (sometimes R-rated) on flat-screen TVs help pass the time. There are extra departures on weekends and holidays and fir special events, when the ferries can be crowded. Note that the company enforces its overweight baggage rules and uses the same limits as the airlines. 0825/35-90-00 or 0590/91-98-53. www.express-des-iles.com.
Jeans for freedom (Place du Marché, St-Pierre, 97250. 0825/01-01-25. www.jeansforfreedom.com.)
Sademar Ferry: BABOU One. This ferry runs between St-François and La Désirade. 0690/50-69-15.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $764 & up -- Turks & Caicos: Adult-Only Club Med, Save 40% Club Med Sandpiper Bay
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore