Four-Wheeling in Jamaica
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Open-air jeeps and ATVs are an exciting way for travelers to combine the experience of a guided tour with the thrills of an amusement-park ride. The fairly rugged landscape around Montego Bay adds to the fun.
Chukka Caribbean Adventures. From its location outside Montego Bay, Chukka Caribbean Adventures offers ATV tours for adults (US$91). The ATVs jostle and splash their way along trails at Blue Hole Estate through the hills. You pass one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in Jamaica, which was built with stones in 1840 by slaves. The company also offers dune buggy tours across the countryside (US$92 adults, US$64 kids) for those who want to go off-road for a bumpy, dusty ride. Sandy Bay, Hanover. 876/619-1441 Digicel in Jamaica; 876/656-8026 Lime in Jamaica; 877/424-8552 from U.S. www.chukkacaribbean.com.
Since most visitors to the island don't rent cars, it's not surprising that guided jeep and all-terrain vehicle tours are a popular option for travelers who want to combine some sightseeing with a little adventure travel.
Chukka Caribbean Adventures. Various guided tours are offered in the Ocho Rios area by Chukka Caribbean in a zebra-striped safari vehicle. The Dunn's River Safari Jeep Tour (US$96) takes you to Murphy Hill for a view of the city before continuing to a cattle farm, a small coffee plantation, and the famous falls. The Bob Marley Jeep Tour (US$95) visits the reggae star's birthplace in the community of Nine Mile. The company also has guided ATV tours for those 16 and older. The trip (US$91) takes you through Chukka Cove farm and past a historic sugar factory before heading to the beach for a dip. Ocho Rios. 876/619-1441 Digicel in Jamaica; 876/656-8026 Lime in Jamaica; 877/424-8552 USA. www.chukkacaribbean.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $599 & up -- Jamaica Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free, $490 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com