Zip Lining in Jamaica
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are many ways to see Jamaica's thick tropical forests, but perhaps none quite as exciting as by zip line. After a short introductory lesson, you climb platforms, hook up to steel cables strung between trees and, with the help of local operators, literally zip throughout the canopy of trees. First offered in Costa Rica, these attractions have spread throughout the world and are found in several places in Jamaica.
Chukka Caribbean Adventures. From its operation west of Montego Bay, Chukka Caribbean offers a canopy tour over the Great River. Zip-lines traverse the trees, at times buzzing you through the canopy at 35-mi (56-km) per hour. On the tour you can catch a glimpse of a 150-year-old dam. The two-hour tour is open to those ages six and up ($90 per person). Chukka Caribbean Adventures also offers a zip-line tour at Rose Hall (east of Montego Bay); the "Flight of the White Witch" is available for ages eight and up ($90 per person). Montego Bay. 876/619-1441 Digicel in Jamaica; 876/656-8026 Lime in Jamaica; 877/424-8552 USA. www.chukkacaribbean.com.
Chukka at Good Hope. This adventure facility at the lush Good Hope Estate includes an ATV safari, river-tubing safari, zip lining, dune buggies, and a horse-and-carriage ride. Aside from the adventures, points of interest around the former sugar estate include the ruins of a waterwheel and kiln, former trading house, countinghouse, sugar-boiling house, and the hut in which slaves were born. Good Hope, Falmouth. 876/619-1441 Digicel in Jamaica; 876/656-8026 Lime in Jamaica; 877/424-8552 USA. www.chukkacaribbean.com. Adventures US$53-US$124.
Chukka Caribbean Adventures. With so much lush vegetation, it's no surprise that canopy tours are a popular way to enjoy the forests surrounding Ocho Rios. West of town at Cranbrook Flower Forest, canopy tours are operated by Chukka Caribbean Adventures. A short walk takes you to the first of nine zip lines traversing the Laughlands River gorge. Participants must be 8 or older. The tour costs US$90 for adults, US$60 for kids. Ocho Rios. 876/619-1441 Digicel in Jamaica; 876/656-8026 Lime in Jamaica; 877/424-8552 USA. www.chukkacaribbean.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $170 -- Negril 'World's Best' All-Inclusive Resorts, 55% Off Couples Resorts
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $156 -- Luxe Ocho Rios All-Inclusive Resorts w/Credits — $156 Couples Resorts