- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kingston and the Blue Mountains
Few travelers—particularly Americans—take the time to visit Kingston, although organized day trips make the city accessible from Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. That's understandable, as Kingston is a tough city to love. It's big and, all too often, bad, with gang-controlled neighborhoods that are known to erupt into violence.
However, if you've seen other parts of the island and yearn to know more about the heart and soul of Jamaica, Kingston is worth a visit. This government and business center is also a cultural capital, home to numerous dance troupes, theaters, and museums. It's also home to the University of the West Indies, one of the Caribbean's largest universities. In many ways, Kingston reflects the true Jamaica—a wonderful cultural mix—more than the sunny havens of the North Coast. As one Jamaican put it, "You don't really know Jamaica until you know Kingston."
North of New Kingston, the city gives way to steep hills and magnificent homes. East of here, the views are even grander as the road winds into the Blue Mountains, one of the island's least developed yet most beautiful regions.
Kingston and the Blue Mountains at a Glance
Experience Kingston and the Blue Mountains
- Bank of Jamaica Money Museum
- Blue Mountains
- Bob Marley Museum
- Devon House
- Emancipation Park
- Fort Charles
- Hope Royal Botanic Gardens
- Hope Zoo Kingston
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $170 -- Negril 'World's Best' All-Inclusive Resorts, 55% Off Couples Resorts
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $156 -- Luxe Ocho Rios All-Inclusive Resorts w/Credits — $156 Couples Resorts