Horseback Riding in Martinique
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Horseback-riding excursions can traverse scenic beaches, palm-shaded forests, sugarcane fields, and a variety of other tropical landscapes. Trained guides often include running commentaries on the history, flora, and fauna of the island.
Ranch de Caps. Some guides are English-speaking at Ranch de Caps, where you can take a half-day ride (Western saddle) on the wild southern beaches and across the countryside for €45. These beautiful, deserted beaches can't be reached by car. Guides will allow those who are capable to gallop. Rides go out in the morning (8:30 to noon) and afternoon (1:30 to 5) every day but Monday. If you can manage a full day in the saddle, it costs €75 and includes lunch. Seasoned riders may even want to attempt the two-day trip (€160).
A real treat is the full-moon ride, but it needs to accrue a group of 10. Most of the 20 mounts are Anglo-Arabs. Riders are encouraged to help cool and wash their horses at day's end. Reserve in advance. Riders of all levels are welcomed. Cap Macré, Le Marin, 97290. 0596/74-70-65 or 0696/23-18-18. www.ranchdescaps.com.
Ranch Jack. Ranch Jack has a large stable of some 30 horses. Its trail rides (English-style) cross some beautiful country for €36 for two hours; half-day excursions for €54 (€62 with transfers from nearby hotels) go through the fields and forests to the beach. Short rides can range from €16 to €25. They also have a wonderful program to introduce kids ages 3-7 to horses. Morne habitué, Trois-Ilets, 97229. 0596/68-37-69 or 0696/92-26-58. ranch.jackwanadoo.fr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Fort-de-France this May Fr $183+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Karibea Squash Fr $193+/Nt Expedia