- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Le Brédas Review
This culinary experience necessitates a trip into the interior, down winding roads where the dense foliage is jungle-like. It's best navigated, at least the first time, by day; come for lunch on a Sunday. Martinican chef Jean-Charles Brédas is well-known, having worked the better restaurants in Martinique and Manhattan. The tasteful decor includes taupe linen runners on long tables speckled with colored-glass bits; the ceramic plates are the creations of an esteemed local potter, Victor Anicet. The terrace dining room of this century-old house is covered by a peaked white awning. Bredas' mission is to preserve ancient saveurs (flavors), giving traditional island dishes and French classics a contemporary twist. The foie gras is perfectly executed, especially when it's served with green bananas caramelized with rum and pineapple. (This appetizer, his signature dish, is a whopping €33.) One laudable main plat is the robust and tender beef marinated in cocoa, orange, and cardamom. As a special-occasion restaurant, its holiday meals are celebratory, down to the roast suckling pigs. Note: if there aren't enough reservations for dinner, then the restaurant will call all those who reserved to cancel.
- Address: Entrée Presqu'île, St. Joseph, 97212
- Phone: 0596/57-65-52
- Location: Martinique
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Mon.--Wed. No lunch Sat. No dinner Sun.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Fort-de-France Savings! Book at Karibea Squash Fr $189+/Nt Expedia
- Fort-de-France Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $180+/Nt Expedia
Swimming pigs, friendly sharks, deserted cays, a cottage on the water and a boat with which to see it all. Read more
Husband and I took the El Yunque Rainforest tour recently. Read more
Looking to travel for our honeymoon somewhere in the Caribbean. Read more