- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This is the end of the earth—or the end of the island, anyway. El Combate sits on the southwest corner of Puerto Rico, a bit removed from everything. The travel industry hasn't figured out how to market this place, so they've left it mostly to the locals, who have built small but elaborate weekend homes—some with grandiose touches like fountains—along the narrow streets. On the road closest to the beach, which for some reason is called Calle 3, is a cluster of seafood shacks. The more prosperous ones have added second stories.
If you're wondering about the town's odd name, which literally means "The Combat," it seems that long ago some unscrupulous characters were eyeing the salt flats just outside town. But they were repelled by machete-wielding villagers who were to live forever in local lore. Is it a true story? Residents of El Combate swear it is.
El Combate at a Glance
- Cabo Rojo Lighthouse
- Centro Interpretativo Las Salinas de Cabo Rojo (Cabo Rojo Sal Flats Interpretive Center)
- El Combate
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $427 & up -- All-Inclusive Virgin Island Yacht Club Resort Bitter End Yacht Club
- $6797 -- British Virgin Islands 8-Nt. Villa, Save $971 On the Rocks Villa
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore