Hacienda Luz de Luna
Hacienda Luz de Luna Review
This is one restaurant where you can't show up unannounced, nor would you ever recognize it from a sign outside, simply because there isn't one. That's the intrigue of this "underground restaurant" where guests are invited to dine at the home of renowned-chef Ventura Vivoni Rivera. In 2008, he had a dream to cook for strangers in the historic hacienda built in 1887. Three weekends per month, Ventura prepares a 10-course meal for a maximum of 35 guests, served during two daily seatings (at 1 and 6 pm). Hosted by the chef's father, Edric, the evening begins with a tour of property, starting at the orchard where lemons grow the size of coconuts. Sprawling 374 acres is the family's farm and small factory where soap, jam, candy, and coffee are produced. Each unique menu (emailed to guests in advance) is never repeated, but might include coffee-crusted pork with mango puree or grilled fish with crunchy rice. This dining experience generally takes up to five hours and costs a flat $60; bring cash since they don't accept credit cards. Be sure to reserve well in advance.
- Address: Carretera 135, Km. 73.3, Barrio Yahuecas, Adjuntas, Adjuntas
- Phone: 787/829-9096
- Location: Adjuntas to Mayagüez
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore
Husband and I took the El Yunque Rainforest tour recently. Read more
We two parents, ds#1 (22) and ds#2 (20) are going to Puerto Rico in march. Read more
Hi Everyone! Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more