Diving and Snorkeling in San Juan
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
The waters off San Juan aren't the best places to scuba dive, but several outfitters conduct short excursions to where tropical fish, coral, and sea horses are visible at depths of 30 to 60 feet. Escorted half-day dives range from $45 to $95 for one or two tanks, including all equipment; in general, double those prices for night dives. Packages that include lunch and other extras start at $100; those that include accommodations are also available.
Snorkeling excursions, which include transportation, equipment rental, and sometimes lunch, start at $55-$60. Equipment rents at beaches for about $10. Avoid unsupervised areas, as rough waters and strong undertows make some places dangerous.
Eco Action Tours. Eco Action Tours offers diving trips for all skill levels. 1035 Av. Ashford, Condado, San Juan, 00907. 787/791-7509. www.ecoactiontours.com.
Ocean Sports. Ocean Sports offers certified scuba courses; snorkeling excursions; specialty courses in nitrox diving; diving trips; airtank fill-ups; and equipment repairs, sales, and rentals. 77 Av. Isla Verde, Isla Verde, San Juan, 00979. 787/723-8513. www.osdivers.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 Cooper Island Beach Club
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore