When to Go
When to Go
Puerto Rico is a tropical island, so temperatures (which vary little) aren't too great a consideration as to when to go: Think instead of "dry" and "rainy" seasons. High season runs from mid-December through mid-April. Winter hotel rates are as much as 25% higher than off-season rates, and hotels tend to be packed. This doesn't mean the island won't have rooms in winter—rarely is space completely unavailable—but if you plan to beat that winter sleet in Duluth, make arrangements for flights and accommodations as far in advance as possible. A less expensive time to visit is during the "shoulder" seasons of fall and spring, when discount rates may be available, the weather is still perfect, and the tourist crush is less intense.
The best bargains are in the less busy summer season, when temperatures are hotter, it's rainier, and hurricanes are a slim possibility. Puerto Rico can be an excellent hurricane-season option for the Caribbean for last-minute flight and hotel deals, when you'll be able to watch the weather report and know a storm isn't about to strike.
However, business travel—not to mention the fact that San Juan serves as a major hub for American Airlines flights to the rest of the Caribbean—keeps the flights to Puerto Rico fairly full on weekdays all year long, while the El Yunque region can be deluged at any time of year, feeding the lush rain forest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore