- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Kayaking
Various outfitters offer trips to Puerto Mosquito, the island's celebrated bioluminescent bay. Most are trips in single-person kayaks, which can be a challenge if you lack experience or endurance. A better option for most people is a boat—an electric-powered model is best, as the gas-powered ones harm the environment.
Aqua Frenzy Kayaks. This shop rents sturdy kayaks and arranges comprehensive kayak tours of the Puerto Mosquito bio bay and other areas. Call at least 24 hours in advance for excursions to the bio bay. Dock below Calle Flamboyán, Esperanza, Vieques, 00765. 787/741-0913. www.aquafrenzy.com.
Marauder Sailing Charters. Marauder Sailing Charters operates the Marauder, a 34-foot sailing yacht anchored off Esperanza that can accommodate up to six passengers. It sails around the southern coast, allowing a close-up look at the pristine nature of the island. There's a midday stop at a secluded spot for swimming, snorkeling, and sunbathing, followed by a gourmet lunch with open bar. Half-day and full-day trips, sunset cruises, brunch cruises, custom and private charters available. All charters depart from Esperenza. PO Box 355, Vieques, 00765. 787/435-4858. www.maraudersailingcharters.com.
Abe's Snorkeling and Bio-Bay Tours. Local boy Abe is one of Vieques's most animated characters, so it's no surprise that his kayaking tours to Puerto Mosquito are the most popular. Over the course of two hours, for $30 per person, guests kayak into the glowing bay for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. For an entire day on the water, Abe's All-in-One Tour involves kayaking through mangrove lagoons, snorkeling coral reefs, watching the sunset on a secluded beach, and visiting the bio-bay after dark. Lunch is provided; the tour costs $100 per person. Esperanza, Vieques. 787/741-2134. www.abessnorkeling.com.
Island Adventures. If you don't want to ply the waters with a paddle Island Adventures offers nightly excursions through the glowing waters of Puerto Mosquito aboard an electrically powered double-pontoon boat for $32 per person. Vieques, 00765. 787/741-0720. www.biobay.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $427 & up -- All-Inclusive Virgin Island Yacht Club Resort Bitter End Yacht Club
- $6797 -- British Virgin Islands 8-Nt. Villa, Save $971 On the Rocks Villa
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore