- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Travelers should exercise caution in Trinidad, especially in the highly populated east-west corridor and downtown Port of Spain, where walking on the streets at night is not recommended unless you're with a group. Trinidad has recorded more than 400 homicides annually for the past few years, but these do not generally involve tourists. As a general rule, Tobago is safer than its larger sister island. There is little visible police presence in most areas of Trinidad. Petty theft occurs on both islands, so don't leave cash or other easy-to-steal valuables in bags that you check at the airport, and use your hotel's safe.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Scarborough Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $131+/Nt Save with Expedia, $107/night less