- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
In these waters you can find undersea cathedrals, coral gardens, and countless tunnels, but note that you must carry and present a valid certificate card before you'll be allowed to dive. As its name suggests, the Black Forest offers staggering black-coral formations as well as the occasional black-tip shark. In the Library you can study fish galore, including large numbers of yellowtail snapper. At the Columbus Passage separating South Caicos from Grand Turk, each side of a 22-mile-wide (35-km-wide) channel drops more than 7,000 feet. From January through March, thousands of Atlantic humpback whales swim through en route to their winter breeding grounds. Gibb's Cay, a small cay a couple of miles off of Grand Turk, where you can swim with stingrays, makes for a great excursion.
Blue Water Divers. In operation on Grand Turk since 1983, Blue Water Divers is the only PADI Gold Palm five-star dive center on the island. The owner, Mitch, may put some of your underwater adventures to music in the evenings when he plays at the Osprey Beach Hotel or Salt Raker Inn. Duke St., Cockburn Town, Grand Turk. 649/946-2432. www.grandturkscuba.com.
Grand Turk Diving. The outfitter offers full-service dives and trips to Gibbs Cay and Salt Cay. Cockburn Town, Grand Turk. 649/946-1559. www.gtdiving.com.
Oasis Divers. Oasis Divers provides complete gear handling and pampering treatment. It also supplies Nitrox and rebreathers. Duke St., Cockburn Town, Grand Turk. 649/946-1128. www.oasisdivers.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $764 & up -- Turks & Caicos: Adult-Only Club Med, Save 40% Club Med Sandpiper Bay