- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
During the winter months (January through April), Salt Cay is a center for whale-watching, when some 2,500 humpback whales pass close to shore. Whale-watching trips can most easily be organized through your inn or guesthouse.
Crystal Seas Adventures. Proprietor Tim Dunn, whose family descends from the original owners of Salt Cay's historic White House, knows these waters as well as anybody. His company offers a variety of excursions: diving with stingrays at Gibbs Cay, and trips to Grand Turk and secluded beaches, such as Great Sand Cay. Whale-watching is also very popular, and Dunn is the only outfitter with diving trips to South Caicos, reputed to be one of the best places in the world for this. Balfour Town, Salt Cay. 649/243-9843. www.crystalseasadventures.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 & up -- Jamaica Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free, $490 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore