Boating and Sailing in St. John
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Sailing
If you're staying at a hotel, your activities desk will usually be able to help you arrange a sailing excursion aboard a nearby boat. Most day sails leaving Cruz Bay head out along St. John's north coast. Those that depart from Coral Bay might drop anchor at some remote cay off the island's east end or even in the nearby British Virgin Islands. Your trip usually includes lunch, beverages, and at least one snorkeling stop. Keep in mind that inclement weather could interfere with your plans, though most boats will still go out if rain isn't too heavy.
St. John Concierge Service. The capable staff can find a charter sail or power boat that fits your style and budget. The company also books fishing and scuba trips. Henry Samuel St., across from post office, Cruz Bay, St. John, 00831. 340/777-2665 or 866/504-3331. www.stjohnconciergeservice.com.
Ocean Runner. For a speedier trip to the cays and remote beaches off St. John, you can rent a powerboat from Ocean Runner. The company rents two-engine boats for $500 to $670 per day. Gas and oil will run you $100 to $300 a day extra, depending on how far you're going. It's a good idea to have some skill with powerboats for this self-drive adventure, but if you don't, you can hire a captain for $120 extra a day. Wharfside Village, Waterfront, Cruz Bay, St. John, 00831. 340/693-8809. www.oceanrunnerusvi.com.
Sail Safaris. Even novice sailors can take off in a small sailboat from Cruz Bay Beach with Sail Safaris to one of the small islands off St. John. Guided half-day tours on small or large boats start at $70 per person. Rentals run $47 per hour. Bay St., Cruz Bay, St. John, 00831. 340/626-8181 or 866/820-6906. www.sailsafaris.net.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $427 & up -- All-Inclusive Virgin Island Yacht Club Resort Bitter End Yacht Club
- $6797 -- British Virgin Islands 8-Nt. Villa, Save $971 On the Rocks Villa
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 — $90 Ole Works Inn
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 — $1,490 Cooper Island Beach Club