Fishing in St. John
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Well-kept charter boats—approved by the U.S. Coast Guard—head out to the north and south drops or troll along the inshore reefs, depending on the season and what's biting. The captains usually provide bait, drinks, and lunch, but you need to bring your own hat and sunscreen. Fishing charters run about $1,400 for the full-day trip.
Offshore Adventures. An excellent choice for fishing charters, Captain Rob Richards is patient with beginners—especially kids—but also enjoys going out with more experienced anglers. He runs the 40-foot center console Mixed Bag I and 32-foot Mixed Bag II. Although he's based in St. John, he will pick up parties in St. Thomas. Westin St. John, 3008 Chocolate Hole Rd., Great Cruz Bay, St. John, 00830. 340/513-0389. www.sportfishingstjohn.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $469 -- Virgin Islands: 3 Nights in Long Bay w/Extras Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas
- $799 & up -- St. Thomas All-Incl. Trip w/Air & Oceanview Rm. CheapCaribbean.com
- $150 -- Virgin Islands: Anegada Oceanview Room, Save 38% — $150 Anegada Reef Hotel
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 — $1,490 Cooper Island Beach Club