- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Southwest of Villach, the extremely scenic 16-km (10-mi) Villach Alpine highway climbs the mountain ridge to about 5,000 feet. From there, a lift gets you up to Hohenrain; then you can hike the marked trail—or take the train—up to the peak of the Dobratsch, towering 7,040 feet into the clouds and providing a spectacular view. Close to Parking Lot 6, at 4,875 feet, is an Alpine botanical garden, which is open mid-June-August, daily 9-6. The cost is EUR 3.50 per person. The 11 parking and outlook points along the highway offer great panoramas.
When Villachers want to go on a quick hike, they head to Gerlitzen Alpe, a popular mountain resort. From May to October, you can take the long and winding Gerlitzen Gipfelstrasse almost to the summit. From there you will find easy hiking trails all the way to the cross on the summit.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe