- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Filzmoos, one of the most romantic villages in Austria, is still a well-kept secret. Though skiing in the nearby Dachstein mountains is excellent, the inexpensive winter resort (which is part of the Salzburger Sportwelt ski area) has yet to be discovered by foreign tourists. During the summer months meandering mountain streams and myriad lakes attract anglers eager for trout, while hikers come to challenge the craggy peaks.
Filzmoos calls itself a "balloon village," not only for the International Hot Air Balloon Week every January, but because it relies heavily on hot-air balloons to show its guests the region.
Filzmoos at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Alps
- Bad Gastein
- Grossglockner Highway
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe