- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Austria's Eastern Alps straddle four different provinces: Carinthia, East Tirol, Salzburg, and Styria. Imposing mountain ranges ripple through the region, isolating Alpine villages whose picture-postcard perfection has remained unspoiled through the centuries. The mountainous terrain makes some backtracking necessary if you're interested in visiting the entire area, but driving through the spectacular scenery is part of the appeal of touring the region.
To Lienz, up the Defereggental & Back. An area far from the madding crowd, this region of sleepy village and ancient farmhouses maintains cultural traditions and offers spectacular untouched nature.
Across the Grossglockner Pass. There is a thrill every hundred yards along this scenic route, but your first will be sighting Heiligenblut, one of Austria's prettiest towns, at the foot of the Grossglockner.
Mountain Spas & Alpine Rambles. Mountain magic and healing waters abound in this traditional and historic area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe