Eastern Austria Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Eastern Austria
Mighty Castles. Explore the great defensive bastions of Burgenland, built to keep out invaders from the East. The best example is lofty Riegersburg, a massive fortress perched on top of a volcanic outcropping.
Regional Delicacies in Historic Settings. While the Styrian parliamentarians toil away, you can work on Styrian beef and regional wine in the Landhauskeller, a charming restaurant in Graz's ancient, arcaded provincial parliament.
Museum in a Palace. Actually there are four museums—plus the gorgeous Prunkräume (State Rooms) in Graz's Schloss Eggenberg, itself a museum piece that sheds light on Austria's past.
Picturesque Rust. Luck-bringing storks raise the next generation in their nests atop the houses in this lakeside village, not even bothering to look down on all the cameras pointed at them.
Leisurely Bike Rides. Pedal through the flat plains surrounding Neusiedler Lake, stopping to explore scenic tiny villages and eat fresh fish from the lake.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Graz: Book Fr $67+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less
- Romantik Park Graz on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $211+/Nt Expedia
- $161 & Up: Cheap Graz Stay — $161 Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- Graz Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Gollner Fr $329+/Nt — $329 Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Super Low Graz Rate: Book Fr $90+/Nt — $90 Save with Hotels.com, $16/night less