- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Austria's second-largest city, Graz is graceful, welcoming, and very untouristed. Instead of visitors, it's the large university population who keep the sidewalk cafés, trendy bars, and chic restaurants humming in the vibrant Altstadt. The modern art museum, the Kunsthaus, has a startling biomorphic blue shape that looms over rooftops like some alien spaceship. Along with this, the annual Styriarte summer music festival has become one of the most prestigious cultural draws in the country, and the city opera theater now attracts top companies like the Bolshoi. Graz is far from the cultural backwater it once was; in fact, it was designated the 2003 "European Capital of Culture."
With its skyline dominated by the squat 16th-century clock tower, this stylish city has a gorgeous and well-preserved medieval center whose Italian Renaissance overlay gives it, in contrast to other Austrian cities, a Mediterranean feel. The name Graz derives from the Slavic gradec, meaning "small castle"; there was probably a fortress atop the Schlossberg hill as early as the 9th century. By the 12th century a town had developed at the foot of the hill, which in time became an imperial city of the ruling Habsburgs. Graz's glory faded in the 17th century when the court moved to Vienna, but the city continued to prosper as the provincial capital of Styria, especially under the enlightened 19th-century rule of Archduke Johann.
In 1811, the Archduke founded the Landesmuseum Joanneum, making it the oldest public music in Austria. This museum complex, with 12 locations, has notable collections of art, archaeology and armor, as well as fossils and folk life. A
EUR 7 day ticket allows you entry to all collections and exhibitions.
Graz at a Glance
- Hauptplatz (Main Square)
- Landesmuseum Joanneum
Elsewhere in Eastern Austria
- Bruck an der Mur
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Graz: Book Fr $67+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less
- May deal: Romantik Park Graz Fr $211+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Graz Rate: Book Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Hotels.com, $46/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Graz City Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Save with Hotels.com, $81/night less
- Book in Graz Fr $161+/Nt — $161 Save with Hotels.com, $24/night less