- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Schloss Eggenberg Review
This 17th-century palace is on the very eastern edge of the city and is surrounded by a large deer park. The Münzensammlung (Numismatic Museum) is tucked away in a corner on the ground floor. Styria's time as a Roman province is documented with artifacts in the Provinzialrömische Sammlung (Roman Provincial Collection). The attractive outdoor café in the park that surrounds the castle is the perfect place to fortify yourself between museum visits.
Prunkräume. Built around an arcaded courtyard lined with antlers, this fine example of the high baroque style contains the gorgeous Prunkräume noted for their elaborate stucco decorations and frescoes. They can be visited on a guided tour only.
Alte Galerie. A world-famous collection of art from the Middle Ages through the baroque period can be found at the Alte Galerie. Among its treasures are works by Pieter Brueghel the Younger and both Hans and Lucas Cranach, the noted Admont Madonna wood carving from 1400, and a medieval altarpiece depicting the murder of Thomas à Becket. 0316/801-79-770.
Abteilung für Vor- und Frühgeschichte. The holdings here include a remarkable collection of Styrian archaeological finds, including the small and rather strange Strettweg Ritual Chariot dating from the 7th century BC.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Graz: Book Fr $114+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Graz Fr $233+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Graz: Book Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Hotels.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Graz Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Expedia
- 3-Star Ibis Graz Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Hotels.com
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
I had received a lot of valuable information in this forum, which was very helpful. Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more